I’ve finally worked out how to make the perfect poached egg, and it’s all down to the brilliant Jamie Oliver!!
Basically all you need is an egg, some clingfilm, some olive oil, a pan of boiling water and a spoon.
To make the perfect poached egg you make a little pouch with the clingfilm (deep enough to accommodate the egg), then you drizzle a little olive oil into the pouch, crack the egg into it, close the pouch up around it, twirl the ends of the clingfilm into a ‘rope’, wrap it round the wooden spoon, then plonk it in the water and rest the spoon on the top of the pan so that the egg pouch doesn’t drift off and unfurl.
And now that you can do that, here’s a recipe to go with your perfect poached egg:
What you’ll need:
A handful of spinach
A couple of mushrooms, sliced
1-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
3 spring onions, chopped
1 egg, poached
2 slices of giraffe bread, toasted
What to do:
1. Poach your egg (method detailed above)
2. Next, with a splash of olive oil, add your spring onions and garlic to a pan and fry for a couple of minutes.
3. Then add your mushrooms, stir frequently
4. When your mushrooms are almost done throw in the spinach and let it wilt
5. Toast your bread
6. When everything is ready, pile the fried goods on top of your toast and plonk the poached egg on top
One healthy, flavoursome and minimal fuss breakfast or lunch option all piled up on the one plate…. did I mention that it’s also extremely cheap? Yep, student living to the max