I cannot resist Jamaican ginger cake. If it ‘sneaks’ its way into my shopping basket, it’ll be gone the next day. I literally eat it by the loaf, nothing more, nothing less.
When my first student shop of the year came around last week, I tried to resist the urge to grab a loaf of of the shelf.
While I managed to successfully leave the shop without any treats in my bag that time, the next day I cracked and was right back there craving some sugar.
My solution to this lack of willpower? Making the very thing I tried to avoid… that makes sense, right?
So, with a little help from Delia, here are my Jamaican ginger cupcakes with vanilla icing:
What you’ll need:
For the cupcakes:
175g of plain flour
1 tablespoon of ground ginger
1 dessertspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
2 tablespoons of milk
75ml of water
75g of black treacle
75g of golden syrup
75g of dark brown sugar
75g of butter
1 egg (beaten)
For the icing:
500g of icing sugar
160g of unsalted butter
25g of milk
3 drops of vanilla syrup
tiny gingerbread men decorations
What to do:
** Preheat the oven to 170c and prepare a 12 hole cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
1. First (Delia’s tip) place the tin of black treacle, with the lid off, in a saucepan of barely simmering water to warm it and make it easier to measure.
2. Next, sieve the flour and spices into a bowl.
3. Then, mix the bicarb with the milk and set aside.
4. In a saucepan gentle heat and stir the treacle, syrup, sugar and butter with the water. Don’t let it come to the boil, and as soon as it blended add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix throughly.
5. When the mixture is smooth add the egg, a little at the time. Then add the bicarb and milk.
6. Next, spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases and transfer to the oven.
7. Bake for 15 minutes, keep your eye on them incase they start to catch.
8. Remove them from the oven and allow to cool.
9. Prepare your icing by creaming your butter and then adding the icing sugar, milk and vanilla essence.
10. Once smooth and properly blended, transfer to an icing bag and decorate your cupcakes!
Naughty Boy feat. Beyoncé and Arrow Benjamin, Runnin’ (Lose it all)
‘If I lose myself, I lose it all’