Fun fact number one: it’s really difficult to cook your dinner when you have 6 puppies chasing you around the kitchen.
Fun fact number two: it’s even harder to cook your dinner when they then fall asleep on your feet leaving you stuck on one side of the kitchen with all your ingredients in the fridge on the other side.
Now these five week old bundles of fur sure are super cute but they have an obsession with feet and I swear to god one day they’re going to trip one of us up and that’ll be it.
Now this post isn’t just about puppies, they only feature because I want to illustrate how difficult it is to get anything done in the kitchen.
If they’re not under your feet or nibbling your toes then their mum, as soon as your back is turned, is bouncing up on the countertop stealing any food she can get her mouth around.
I had to make two batches of chargrilled chicken because she nicked the first round – don’t you just adore the audacity of your pets?
Anyway, back to the food. This recipe requires minimal effort and is a really simple dinner idea.
What you’ll need:
120g of giant cuscus
2 chicken breasts
1/2 a lemon worth of zest and juice plus a separate wedge to serve
1 spring onion, finely sliced
6 fresh cherry tomatoes, chopped
1 can of petit pois in water
Handful of basil leaves, roughly torn
2 cams of cucumber, finely sliced
15g of grated parmesan
1 tbsp of sesame seeds
How to do it:
1. Place the cuscus in a bowl, pour over 160g of boiling water and cover with clingfilm
2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and squeeze half the lemon juice over it
3. Heat the girdle pan with a splash of oil then cook the chicken until its done all the way through
4. Once cooked, set aside
5. In a separate pan, heat the peas in the water from the can
6. Once cooked, drain and partially crush the peas with the back of a fork
7. In a bowl, stir in the peas, cuscus, basil, lemon zest, spring onion, cucumber and sesame seeds
8. Plate the chicken on a mound of cuscus, season, then grate over the parmesan and serve with a lemon wedge
Sigma feat. Ella Henderson, Glitterball
-Sun’s out. Time to turn the music up and dance around the kitchen like no one (except the puppies) are watching