It’s taken nearly 20 years, but I’ve finally discovered the beauty of buttermilk pancakes. They are so unbelievably fluffy, and boy do they put ordinary pancakes to shame!
I made these to entertain my little sis on a Saturday afternoon and they seemed to go down pretty well, so here’s my recipe for fluffy buttermilk pancakes topped off with fresh fruit and golden syrup – delicious!
200ml of buttermilk
400ml of milk
100g of unsalted butter
350g of self-raising flour
2 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp of caster sugar
1 tsp of salt
1) Mix together all the dry ingredients into a bowl
2) In a separate bowl mix together all the wet ingredients
3) Slowly combine the wet and the dry ingredients
4) Using a ladle, pour one ladle of pancake mix into a non-stick pan. If you don’t have a non-stick then make sure you use a bit of butter in the frying pan
5) Cook until the top is bubbling and then flip the pancake over with a fish slice, the underside should be golden brown
6) To serve drizzle with golden syrup and scatter with freshly cut fruit
Things got a little bit messy… careful when flipping is all I can say!
I was just in heaven tucking into these. When the golden syrup soaks into the pancakes and the fresh blackberries burst in your mouth, it’s literally magical.
This recipe kept my sister quiet for at least and hour and, if only for that reason, it has definitely replaced my old go-to recipe for those basic kinds of crepes.
The Vamps, Last Night
No doubt that these pancakes would make the perfect hangover breakfast